Apple Cinnamon Sangria
c/o Emily Bites
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 8 oz (1 fl cup) semi-dry champagne (white wine can be substituted if you have it on hand)
- 16 oz (2 fl cups) Trop50 Farmstand Apple Juice
- 4 oz (1/2 fl cup) club soda
- 2 oz (1/4 fl cup) Goldschlager (or another cinnamon schnapps)
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and stir together well to combine. Refrigerate for a bit to chill and allow the apples to soak up the flavors.
- Pour over ice into 5 glasses. Each glass gets ¾ fl cup (6 oz) of the liquid cocktail and 1/5 of the chopped apples.
Beef and Barley Soup
c/o Closet Cooking
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Ontario Corn Fed stewing beef such as chuck, round, brisket, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pot barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the dried mushrooms in 1 cup of just boiled water and let sit until tender, about 15 minutes, before draining, reserving the water, and chopping the mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a larges sauce pan over medium-high heat before setting aside.
- Add the beef and sear until lightly golden brown on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, paprika and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the broth simmers..
- Add the broth, barley, bacon, beef, reserved chopped mushrooms, reserved mushroom water, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce and fish sauce and either bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall apart in your mouth tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves, season with alt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Peppermint Cracker Toffee
c/o Shugary Sweets